Tweetup. (n.) meet up with Twitter friends.
Something for the Japan quake… We love you JAPAN!
If you’ve been on Twitter for a while, you’ve probably heard of Tweetup, especially if you participated in #sentisabado. It’s been quite popular among Twitterati, seeing each other and meeting the persons behind the usernames.
On March 24, one of the biggest tweetups on Twitter universe (or at least just for a Twitter country like the Philippines) is happening. Enter Twestival Manila.
Twestival® (or Twitter Festival) uses social media for social good by connecting communities offline on a single day to highlight a great cause and have a fun event. Twestival is the largest global grassroots social media fundraising initiative to date. Since 2009, volunteers have raised close to $1.2 million for 137 nonprofits. All local events are organized 100% by volunteers and 100% of all ticket sales and donations go direct to projects.
Twestival was born out of the idea that if cities were able to collaborate on an international scale, but work from a local level, it could have a spectacular impact. Over 200 international cities from Buenos Aires to Bangalore, Seattle to Seoul and Hong Kong to Honolulu have participated in Twestival.
For the first time, Manila is participating in this worldwide OFFLINE event to tweet, meet and give! This year’s beneficiary, and the very first, is JeepneED.
JeepneED is mobile science and tech lab for rural schools in the Philippines. It takes education on the tracks with laptops (with internet), printer, scanner, projector, and basic science materials for around 8 – 12 rural schools. JeepneED aims to bring science and technology without intimidation, and taking it to a whole new level!
You can be a part of something bigger ’cause you, yes you social media fiend, are invited to this very momentous event! It’s gonna be held this Thursday, March 24, 8pm at LeBistroVert, Valero st., Makati City with host, TJ Manotoc! Ticket costs PhP250 (click here to buy) inclusive already of free drinks, a loot bag, and an awesome chance to win cool raffle prizes! ALL (to the cent) proceeds goes to JeepneED.
BTS, Twestival Manila 2011
Come one, come all to Manila’s biggest tweetup ever! We’re aiming to raise PhP140,000 to help JeepneED with their operations. Let’s help education spread throughout our country and you can do your part! Go get that pen, block Thursday, ’cause we are gonna do this!
Tweetup, March 19, 2011
We appreciate ANY kind of help. So if you have that big heart, you can do any of these:
- Follow @TwestivalMNL and tweet about the @TwestivalMNL event.
- Invite your friends — officemates, workmates, your boss, and even your family.
- Sponsor the event, especially if your company is on Twitter or would like to reach out to the Philippines’ lively and dynamic Twitter community in a socially-responsible way.
- Buy tickets in advance – or buy tickets even if you cannot attend. The more tickets sold, the quicker we reach the goal of providing support to @jeepNEED and the rural high schools it wishes to serve. We will have a safe and secure way to buy tickets online.
- Buy more than one ticket. Buy tickets in bulk. This is not for everyone, really. But for those who wish to donate to a good cause. We say to them: @TwestivalMNL and @jeepNEED would be glad to receive your donations!
- Publicize the event on your blogs and on Facebook, on newspapers/radio/television if you’re a journalist or editor, on your shows if you’re a movie/TV star. Tell your many followers on Twitter about this event.
- Volunteer to contact media. Volunteer to look for sponsors. Volunteer to perform a song or a dance at the event. Volunteer to help in any way you see fit.
Thanks y’all! Ciao for now!
P.S. Come to think of it, it may not be an entirely offline event, knowing the Tweople can never resist the urge to tweet!
P.S.S. Follow @TwestivalMNL for more updates. And also @Jonver_David, ’cause I might raffle off two tickets to Twestival!
P.S.S.S. Our OFW brothers and sisters can also be a part of this, Click here to donate!